Are you ready to expand your creative process and your work?
Do you wonder if a degree in art or design is right for you?
Would you like to meet and work with other students who are artists like you?
NHIA’s 2018 Pre-College Summer Intensive offers distinct programs of study in Visual Arts or Writing. Each program is designed with an immersive and intense daily studio focus to further your skills and creative voice within your field of art or writing. There are a variety of workshops, presentations, and social activities that offer interaction and collaboration between the programs. Come join us for a fun and engaging college experience as you build portfolio.
VISUAL ARTS SUMMER INTENSIVE
Choose from a variety of studio courses including Portfolio Drawing, Image and Text, Visual Storytelling, Painting Abstraction, Graphic Novels, Ceramic Design, Photography, and Printmaking. Each studio course offers the opportunity to learn new techniques, advance and refine your skills, and build a professional portfolio.
WRITING SUMMER WORKSHOP
This workshop is based on exploring writing techniques that help you find your own unique voice and style as a writer. In small classes, you will engage in informal, unstructured writing exercises to build trust in your own voice in a respectful and comfortable atmosphere. From exercises, you’ll move on to completing short pieces, participating in a college-level workshop, peer reviews, and revising your work. You’ll leave here with a portfolio of work that you can develop for college applications and even publication, and you’ll have an established writing community that can thrive beyond this program.
Rolling Admissions Deadline is July 1
Applications are accepted through July 1. Scholarships are available and will be awarded as funds remain available. Space in the program is limited.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application form
- 3-5 works (images or writing) via Slideroom
- Personal Essay (300-500 words) via Slideroom. Your essay should address how you will use the experience of Pre-College to benefit your education and the development of your creative ideas. You may submit an artist statement in lieu of an essay.
- Recommendation from 1-2 references, preferably your primary Art or Writing instructor (this may be submitted through Slideroom; emailed to PreCollege@nhia.edu or be sent hard-copy to the Pre-College Team
- Submit $30 application fee
If you have any questions contact our Pre-College Team at PreCollege@nhia.edu, 603-836-2561.