Are you ready to expand your creative process and your work?
Do you wonder if a degree in art or design is right for you?
Would you like to meet and work with other students who are artists like you?
Join us for this dynamic, creative, and immersive two-week program. NHIA’s Pre-College Art Intensive offers an inspiring college-level experience allowing students to develop and broaden their skills, understand and use their personal creative voice, and build a professional portfolio of work.
Click here to see the variety of courses you can choose from, including studio courses and seminars. Outside of class, you will visit the Currier Museum of Art, enjoy presentations and discussions with visiting artists, collaborate in group workshops, gain feedback from professional artists in a portfolio review, and enjoy a visit to the beautiful New Hampshire Seacoast.
High school students age 15-19 are welcome to apply. Here’s what you’ll get out of the program:
• Build a portfolio
• Advance your skills working in a variety of media
• Learn from our exceptional BFA faculty and professional artists
• Use state-of-the-art studios and facilities
• Gain insight into career possibilities in a range of creative fields
• Meet and collaborate with other students from across the United States
• Live in residence halls on our campus in downtown Manchester, NH, just steps away from the city’s thriving restaurants, shops, galleries and cafes
• Earn college credit
Rolling Admissions Deadline is July 1
Applications are accepted through July 1. Scholarships will be awarded as funds remain available. Space in the program is limited.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application form
- 3-5 works (images or writing) via Slideroom
- Personal Essay (300-500 words) via Slideroom. Your essay should address how you will use the experience of Pre-College to benefit your education and the development of your creative ideas. You may submit an artist statement in lieu of an essay.
- Recommendation from 1-2 references, preferably your primary Art or Writing instructor (this may be submitted through Slideroom; emailed to PreCollege@nhia.edu or be sent hard-copy to the Pre-College Team
- Submit $30 application fee
Notification of Admission
Notification will be sent digitally and hard copy within two-weeks of receiving the completed application materials
Accepted students will receive a Pre-College Acceptance Packet. The packet includes the acceptance letter along with information about scholarship, registration, housing, and additional program paperwork information.
Scholarships are merit based and awarded on an individual basis for each student. Students who receive scholarship awards will be notified of their award in the Pre-College Acceptance Packet.
Students will be living in NHIA’s undergraduate residence halls. Singles and doubles are available. Accepted students will be asked for their preference and appropriate housing and dining parameters in the Acceptance Packet. NHIA will make room assignments on a first come, first served basis and will make every effort to accommodate each student’s first choice. A bed, dresser and desk are provided. You will need to provide your own linens. Common areas include a study, kitchen, laundry room and lounge. Continental breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served each day. On Sunday, NHIA will serve just brunch and dinner. Vegetarian and gluten free selections will be offered at each meal. Click here to download our room and board form.
Accepted students will be prompted to register for 2 studio courses in their Pre-College Acceptance Packet. Registration will be available online and via phone, on a first come - first served basis. Every effort will be made to register the student in their first choice classes. The earlier you complete the application process, the better your chances.
The total cost of the program is $2,100. A bill for the cost of the program will be sent to each participant around May 27 and must be paid in full by Friday, June 19 (payment can be received all at once or in partial amounts). If full payment has not been received by June 19 the student may be put on a waiting list and will not be guaranteed space in the program. Payments should be made to:
New Hampshire Institute of Art
Pre-College Summer Program
148 Concord Street, Manchester, NH 03101.
If you have enrolled in the Pre-College Summer Program and must cancel, please contact our Pre-College Team as soon as possible. The charges will be reversed according to the following schedule:
Notification by Tuition
June 19 100%
June 27 75%
July 5 50%
After the 5th 0%
If you have any questions contact our Pre-College Team at PreCollege@nhia.edu, 603-836-2561.